Outpatient Clinic for Geriatric Assessment and Counselling for Healthy Longevity
The Shmuel Harofeh Geriatric Medical Center houses the Geriatric Clinic for Healthy Longevity, which is designed to provide diverse medical services to the elderly population, from the age of 65 onwards. The medical services in the geriatric clinic include the expert advice by physicians who specialize in geriatrics regarding the range of medical and mental problems that affect the older persons (over the age of 65). The geriatric evaluation and counselling performed by the geriatric specialists include:
1. Assessing the intellectual abilities of the older person.
2. Assessing whether the older person suffers from a mental problem such as depression.
3. A comprehensive physical examination of the older person and an assessment of his/her medical condition for the total of aging-related diseases from which he/she suffers.
4. Medication balancing - performing an assessment of the degree of necessity of taking certain medications by the older person while adjusting medications that will provide an appropriate solution to the patient’s medical condition.
5. Functional assessment of the older person and identification of factors that, if treated, the patient’s functional condition will improve.
6. Preventing fall recurrences - diagnosis of the problem, identification of risk factors for falls and ways to prevent further falls in the future.
7. Counseling for a healthy lifestyle and prevention of aging-related diseases.
Diagnosis and treatment of memory disorders in old age (such as dementia) and providing advice to a person and their family on the subject.
Diagnosis of the problem, appropriate treatment and follow-up.
Assessing the degree of necessity of taking these and/or other drugs by the older person. Adjusting medications that will provide an appropriate solution to the personal medical condition of the older person.
Preventing fall recurrences
Diagnosing the problem, identifying risk factors for falls and ways to prevent further falls in the future.
Advice for a healthy lifestyle and prevention of aging-related diseases
Based on assessing biomarkers of aging and functional metrics, advice will be given considering preventive and personalized interventions for a healthy lifestyle and prevention of aging-related diseases.